The Bottom Line
Shred-it® provides high volume on-site paper document destruction and off-site destruction of other types of documents and media. Their employees were friendly and professional. If you do not generate a large volume of documents to be destroyed every week, you can buy an office power shredder for about $200. If you have a large volume of paper documents to be destroyed on-site, Shred-it may be your only choice. If you are OK with your paper documents being transported to another site before being destroyed, you can save money with another local service.
- Paper documents are destroyed on-site in a specially equipped truck.
- You can watch your paper documents being destroyed.
- Can also destroy CDs, computer tapes, computer hard drives, x-ray films, etc.
- Shred-it places secure document depositories in your company for free.
- Don’t have to remove staples, paper clips, bindings, binder clips, etc.
- Material other than paper is done offsite.
- Difficult to schedule an extra pick up outside of your normally scheduled pickup.
- Fee schedule is based upon the number of containers you have, regardless if they are full or not.
- A “Fuel Surcharge” was added to the invoice for the high cost of diesel fuel.
- Paper Documents (with staples, paper clips, bindings, binder clips, etc.)
- CD & DVDs
- Computer Backups
- Computer Hard Drives
- X-Rays Films
- Video & Cassette Tapes
- Prize Tickets
- Product Samples
- Checks and Money Orders
Guide Review - Review: Shred-it® On-Site Document Destruction
Shred-it provides a very reliable and professional service. They differentiate themselves from their competitors with their special trucks that destroy your paper documents in your parking lot. They will even allow you to accompany your documents to the truck and watch them being destroyed. Unfortunately, you end up paying more for this on-site service. If watching your documents being destroyed is not important to you, there are lower priced services that collect your documents and destroy them at their facilities. The cost that I was paying was about $25 per week per container (20"w x 19.5"d x 36"h). The one time that I asked for an additional pickup (because we did some spring-cleaning) it took almost two days to "fit us into their schedule." By the time they arrived it was almost time for our regular scheduled pick up.
If you have a small volume of paper you can do it yourself by buying an appropriately sized office power shredder. Compare the features and capabilities before you buy one.